Saturday, March 9, 2013

What's Cooking

     Alright, then. I am going to come right out and say: I do not cook. I have made very few things in my life, and, with the exception of some pancakes-gone-wrong when I was 10 or 11, all of my attempts have been dessert related. I feel bad about this sometimes, especially since there is the strong stereotype of the woman being the one that cooks. Apparently it's a common saying in the Hispanic community that as soon as a girl is able to cook, she's ready to get married. Well, shame on me, since here I am getting married, and I don't cook one bit. I think I just got exceedingly lucky that Charlton not only can cook, but enjoys it very much. He also doesn't seem terribly bothered by the fact that I don't, but rather he sweetly tries to teach me little things here and there.

      I am capable of making cakes or brownies from scratch, and usually I do, but on this instance I chose to use a box mix. Brownies aren't particularly difficult to make, but the box mix does take less time. All in all, the prep time was about 7 minutes, and then there was the 24 minutes of cooking time.
     I tried to fit all of the things you need in the picture, but I forgot the shortening for greasing the pan. Also, you can't see that it is canola oil very well. (Speaking of the oil, be careful with that; in the moments that my hand was reaching for the bottle, I thought that it would possibly be greasy, and sure enough, the lid and top few inches were sticky and slick. I hate feeling oily or greasy, so I washed my hands immediately.) Personally, I used a 13X9 pan, since I like more cakey brownies that aren't super thick. The steps are pretty easy, though:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (for the 13X9 pan), and grease the pan in preparation. (Greasing pans is another one of my least favorite things; I washed my hands very promptly and thoroughly.) I like to get of my supplies out at the beginning so I'm not scrambling for ingredients in the middle of something else. 
  2. Combine the dry mix (from the box), 1/4 cup water, 2/3 cup oil, and 2 eggs (another cause for hand washing) in a bowl. Mix thoroughly (I used a spatula to clean the edges of the bowl), but it won't be completely smooth. 
  3. Pour the mix into the greased pan, and bake it for 24-26 minutes. 
     After the timer goes off, you'll want to check if it's really done or not with a toothpick. It should come out mostly clean, but not completely. (Well, the more crumbs are attached, the more squishy the brownies will be. So, it depends on how you like them, I suppose.)


     *Ice cream is optional, but highly recommended. :)

1 comment:

  1. You did very well with your blog post. It reads just like a recipe from the internet. I think it is great that you are honest about the fact that you do not cook. I myself do cook, but I could really do without having to sometimes.

    ReplyDelete